Monday, May 04, 2015

RIP GRACE LEE WHITNEY


GRACE LEE WHITNEY passed away last friday at the age of 85.  Ms Whitney was well-known, and loved, by fans for her portrayel of YEOMAN JANICE RAND on 'Star Trek: The Original Series'.


She also reprised her role in 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' (as Transporter Officer), in 'Star Trek IV: They Voyage Home' (where she had been promoted to Chief Petty Officer), and in 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' (as a Communications Officer on Sulu's USS Excelsior). She also made a brief appearance on an episode of 'Star Trek: Voyager'.


Even though she was only on the show for 8 episodes, Grace Lee Whitney stands out as one of the major characters in the Star Trek franchise.


Her family stated that her "preference would be to be remembered as a 'successful survivor of addiction." Whitney was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict and had reportedly spend the last 35 years of her life helping others with addiction problems, including volunteering at women's correctional facilities. 

In 2011, Whitney described her life as a happy -- and sober -- grandmother living on a 30-acre property near Yosemite National Park. "[My son] Jonathan built a home down at the end of my property, where he lives with his family, including my grandchildren," Whitney said. "They're going to take care of me as I move through life to my home in heaven. But right now I take my grandchildren to school and cart them around, and I'm of maximum service to them... I also line dance one night a week and I go to the gym three days a week. So, my life is happy, joyous, free, sober and saved, and a lot of fun, too. I have a lot of fun."

No comments: