Sunday, November 03, 2013

CLASSIC TMNT FIGURES RE-RELEASED

I saw these at Toys R Us today... Playmates is re-releasing the classic line of TMNT figures from 1988. I remember first seeing these and thinking they were based on the b&w underground comic I had loved (not knowing the property had been recently sold and unleashed upon the world as the kiddie cartoon/toyline juggernaut it quickly became), so I bought a Donatello (my favorite, based on complementary color scheme and bo staff weapon). I then later bought a Leonardo because my toy addiction was beginning to form. I still have those figures.

*(I did not buy any of the above figures today)

1 comment:

Bubbashelby said...

The amazing thing is that Toys R Us is charging $12.99 for these! Now I'm no casual toy shopper I admit, but I have amassed all four original rubber headed versions of the Turtles and paid less than $12.99 for all four combined. Also, the last round of re-releases happened during the turtles' 25th anniversary, and (I assume due to their high price then too) they eventually made their way to Ross, where I acquired all four turtles for $3.99 each. http://toyriffic.blogspot.com/2009/07/leonardo-de-chep-eo.html

I applaud what they are doing by re-releasing classic figures - Mattel, for instance, has only re-released original MOTU figures once since their original run - but I think they could be more reasonably priced to attract kids, parents and nostalgia buffs alike.

That said, if anyone feels they must have these just let history repeat itself and wait for them to ultimately hit Ross, Big Lots, Marshalls or any number of clearance stores for a much lower (reasonable) price.