Thursday, February 24, 2011

MOVIE KILOWOG THOUGHTS

Above is the movie-version of Green Lantern KILOWOG. I've been hesitating to post about it because, personally, I think the movie looks like garbage. But here we are. I don't hate it, but nor do I like it. I've shown the pic to a few GL fans and the first quesition asked is, "Is that Kilowog?". Which means on one level he's recognizable... but they did have to ask.

For me, my main 'fanboy gripe' is the skin tone, which is orange instead of pink. When I think of 'orange-skin Green Lantern', I go to TOMAR-RE. The other small 'fanboy gripe' is his face design. Maybe if the top face-'tendrils' were longer...? And what's with the blue eyes? Why not something a bit more... ya know, alien?! Finally, his physique - it doesn't look like Kilowog's body shape or silhouette, which is unmistakeable.

Like I said, it looks similar to Kilowog, but.... it's just NOT Kilowog, ya know? I would have much preferred if he looked more like his Comic counterpart:
But maybe not as 'cartoony'... perhaps a blend between the two? Overall, not bad. I neither hate it, nor like it. It just is what it is. And it could have been much much worse, knowing Hollywood. Anyway, those ae my thoughts on a small aspect of a movie I think looks like garbage.

What do you think of it?

Here are two bonus pics:

11 comments:

Jerk said...

http://www.hobbshouse.com/SSTroll9346LG.jpg

very original.

maybe I can get a GL costume for my statue and if they make a GL Pin can move it over for a topper.

Timewaster said...

I've always felt like Kilowog has looked really cartoony in the comics. Like a pig head grafted on to a buff dude's body. While not the greatest design ever, I do look at the movie Kilowog and think it at least looks a bit more alien.

And why must you constantly judge those based solely on their skin color?

Jim said...

What, are you some sorta Orange-Skin lover?!

Jim said...

and yes, it does look like a Cave Troll...except not as cool.

Jerk said...

Sigh.

Battle Troll

not

Cave Troll

Jim said...

He looks more like a Cave Troll than a Battle Troll.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the biggest downfalls of this movie, is the creative, brain boxes decisions to go with the ridiculously looking, ALL CG, full body, matchmove, costume GL is wearing. A practical suit would have worked great, and you could have used all those globs of money they are throwing at fixing this idiotic idea, and put it towards better fx, more complex scenes, characters, ect.....

Tim said...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Heros in a half shell!
Turtle-power!

PS Do not like.

MORS said...

the body doesn't bother me. its those big human eyes and the small jaw. give him beady black and red eyes and give him his classic under-bite/huge jaw and it would work

also a pinkish skin.
they probably thought "we already have 2 pink aliens (sinestro, abin sur) so we can't have 3. might as well make him the same color as the bird one"

don't even get me started on how bad tomar re looks

Phillip said...

The Alien 3 bonus pic was a nice touch, Jim!

Unknown said...

funny bonus pics