Monday, July 12, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: PREDATORS

Hahaha, ok... so I caught a free screening of PREDATORS this weekend. I've been having some fun with the movie on JimSmash the past year, poking fun at various aspects; Rodriguez, Pred-Dogs, etc. I went into the film with low-expectations yet with a wide-open mind.

The film is full of plot holes, cliches and some unintentional laughs. One reviewer called the film "An Ultimate Fan Film" and I can see why, specifically with elements lifted straight from the original PREDATOR and even ALIENS; dialogue, music, plot twists, "moments" etc.

With that said, I actually really enjoyed this movie! It's action packed and full of kickass moments & even well-placed intentional laughs. The movie kicks off in overdrive and continues throughout without a dull moment. The Predators look great (scary once again) and their Creature FX are almost on par with Stan Winston's Predator work. The United Colors of Benetton Cliche Cast works well, existing on that razor edge of Comic Book Cliche and Hollywood Fun. At times I found myself wanting some of these horrible people survive... and cheered outloud when those I didn't want to survive, didn't. Alice Braga makes an impression (although you'll spend a good time of the film wanting to get her hair out of her face) and Adrien Brody is an interesting Batman.

While flawed and....lacking..., I found it better than PREDATOR 2 and a fitting "PREDATOR 3". Thumbs up!

*I'd like to see it again to determine if my initial opinion holds.

Bonus pic:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This will be the first movie that I'm actually going to spend money to see this summer. I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I'm hoping to just watch it to have a good time and that's it. Sounds like if I go in with that in mind then I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I enjoyed it, but there's some naff stuff in it alright !! Liked the Make-up FX, think KNB did a great job, I think ADI's stuff has been getting gradually worse over the years for the Alien and Prdator films, I think they over design stuff at times !!!

Anonymous said...

I dug as a casual fan... go see it. Helps if it's free... but just have fun with it...

Tim said...

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they killed off two preds within minutes of each other...just like in the first AVP. Why do the movie 'powers that be' think we can't handle multiple preds? Ugh. The Bezerker one was awesome though and I agree with ya...scary as hell. It just sucked that the classic pred got owned like he did.