Monday, October 19, 2009

DRACULA 3000

I mentioned this in the "32 DRACULAS" post but wanted to shine a bit more light on this gem. From Wikipedia, here's a synopsis snippet:
Set in the year 3000, a salvage ship named Mother III, is traveling through space. The craft soon happens upon the derelict transport Demeter. Docking with the ship, Van Helsing sends crew intern, Mina Murry, to board alone and check it out. She nervously conducts her search all the while a mysterious figure darts in the shadows behind her.
Ha, I love that the ship is called "Mother III" ala ALIEN's "Mother" on the Nostromo. Plus the tagline "In Space, There is No Light" (copying ALIEN's "In Space No One Can Hear You Scream")

While I have not had the displeasure of watching it myself, I did get a kick out of reading some of the reviews. Here, let me share with you....


* Andrew Stine of Something Awful said, "Whether it's out of some facsimile of genuine interest (rare) or because I just want to see how completely stupid things can possibly get within ninety minutes, I have so far been able to keep myself from lapsing into a waking coma by latching upon some facet of the movie which is not utterly, interminably boring. That is, until Dracula 3000."

* Mitchell Hattaway of DVD Verdict said, "Dracula 3000 is a shining example of complete filmmaking ineptitude. You can look all you want and you won't find even the slightest hint of intelligence on any level. ... It sucks. Dracula 3000 makes Leprechaun 4: In Space look like Alien."

* Scott Foy of foywonder.com wrote, "Dracula 3000 is a monumental achievement in cinematic stupidity. ... I suspect it is going to be a long time before I come across a new movie that is as bad as this was."

* Beyond Hollywood's review stated, "There are bad movies, and then there is Dracula 3000. ... Without belaboring the point too much, this is one of the most ridiculous movies I've seen in a long while. The script by writer/director Darrell Roodt doesn't even try to make sense."

* David Oliver of CHUD.com said, "This is the worst movie I've ever reviewed so far for CHUD. How is it bad? Every particular way you can think of: the acting, the writing, directing... I can go on for paragraphs. ... To call this film shit is an insult to fragrant brown logs everywhere."

------------------------------------------------

and as JimSmash Reader 'Sweet Monkey Fritters' pointed out, "the vampiric jaws are identical [to the artwork of] Brian Lumley's first Necroscope novel."

Here's a split-screen for your viewing enjoyment:Yep, same!

5 comments:

jaganar said...

you know its a proven fact that if they take an established franchise and throw it in space they ran out of ideas .

1.jason X =5 yrs after its made they release it officially, WTF=
2.pinhead
3.leprecaun

(the reverse effect exists as well ) :

1.dolph lungre, HeMan & MOTU

2.Aliens , [will not bring up the titles but yeah , it is THE one with our Queenie , walking around earth like she owns it =) , and then the GARBAGE that follows]

Sweet Monkey Fritters said...

Interesting... was that image created by the same person who created the cover image for Brian Lumley's first Necroscope novel?

The vampiric jaws are almost identical.

crookymike said...

I can't believe its worse than "Mega shark vs Giant octopus"

allen etter said...

I just watched the trailer. I want to place my brain in the dish washer and clean it.

Jim said...

Hey, I have that Necroscope novel! And yes, it IS the same image - I posted a pic. Nice catch!

Allen Etter, why dontcha watch the whole movie and give us a review! ;)