Tuesday, December 16, 2008

THE RETURN OF AZRAEL

Back in 2006 I did a post about wanting AZRAEL to return. Well check it out - he's returning in 2009!

Ya know, he first made his appearance when Batman was defeated and left Gotham void of its hero. Now with "BATMAN R.I.P." over, its quite fitting Azrael makes his return. (please note the bitter sarcasm in my angry fanboy voice)

Seriously, Batman R.I.P. had me dropping my Batman titles... after 20 years of buying! Now that I think of it, ever since Dan DiDio became Senior VP/Executive Editor, my interest in DCU books has greatly diminshed. Where once I was buying over a dozen DCU books, I am now just reading Green Lantern and Action Comics by Geoff Johns - basically Johns is keeping my toe in the DCU. So the odds of this new Azrael being good are slim, under the office of DiDio. The dude must go . Grrrrr.

Anyway, yeah, Azrael's back.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

DiDio must DiD-GO! Keep smashin' Jim!

Anonymous said...

LOL I was calling for dildos blood after the waste of time that was infinite crisis

Anonymous said...

Well from all indications, this azrael may not be jean-paul valley because it mentioned that this azrael was a husband and father-which jean paul was never established as being.
All I can say to this is what's up with DC? Do we really need another azrael? Does anybody remember when they were thinking about making Mark Shaw take the role only to backpedal on that idea? Why can't they just bring back Jean Paul Valley given the fact that his body was never found and that Rip Hunter had indicated that he was still alive somehow?
The only plausible theory I can come up with is that either DC doesn't want to pay royalties to Denny O'Neill for the book running for 100 issues or that they have some legal issues to work out with Joe Quesada for co-creating the character.
I will try and keep an open mind and give this new Azrael a chance but I still think they should bring back Jean-Paul in the role because he was a unique character.
As for the Battle For The Cowl storyline, it comes off as a ripoff of Reign Of The Supermen to me.