Wednesday, July 02, 2008

CURRENT TOP 10 COMICS - JUNE 2008

I've fallen behind on some of my reading, so some of these issues are not the latest ones on the stands.... but here are my Top 10 comics I've enjoyed since the last post:

* X-FORCE #4 : The return of Archangel! Rejoice! Yay!

* GIANT SIZED ASTONISHING X-MEN #1: The final issue of Whedon/Cassaday's run. While not the glorious ending I was hoping for, I still loved it and it was filled with all those "Whedon moments" that make you feel.

* CAPTAIN AMERICA & DAREDEVIL: Enjoying both titles, both by Ed Brubaker. I was worried about the "new Cap", but so far its making for an interesting story. Month-In/Month-Out I like these books.

* INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #2: Really enjoying this new title. At first I was wary of 2 monthly Iron Man books, but they balance each other out (the other focusing more on Stark as head of SHIELD).

* SECRET INVASION #3: Really enjoying this event. I usually dislike Bendis' over-wordy stylings, but with this he's letting the pictures work for him as a comic book instead of floating head's to his script. The Skrull attack was rad.

* ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #11: God this book is so good! I wish Morrison and Quitely were staying on for the long haul. Their interpretation of Supes is weird and funky... which is fine in this book, but I wouldn't want the "regular" book (Action & Superman) to become this. Anyway, spectacular book.

* TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE #5: I've never liked Donna Troy. Ever. But in this single issue I fell in love with her. And Roy's a prick!

* BATMAN: GOTHAM AFTER MIDNIGHT #1 & 2: Steve "30 Days of Night" Niles pens this 12-issue maxi-series with gorgouesly creepy art by Kelley Jones. Jone's Batman run in the mid-90s is one of my favorites so I was stoked to see him back in this series. So far, this book has me grinning like I've enhaled Joker's gas. Keep these Niles/Jones maxi-series coming! Or put them on Detective!!

* DETECTIVE COMICS: Ok, so put Niles/Kelley on "Detective", and move the current Detective team (Paul Dini & Dustin Nguyen) onto "Batman". Dini is best known for his Batman: The Animates Series and various other DC cartoons. This book is solid and keeps to the core of Batman. Plus, most issues are self-contained (more or less) so you're not bogged down in Continuity or Giant Crossovers. And Nguyen's art is absolutely stunning - he makes me want to start drawing again.

------------------------------------------
And here are a few comics I hated so much I felt the need to vocalize my dissappointment:
*FINAL CRISIS #2: Grant Morrisson is usually my favorite writer. But this series, and this issue in particular, is shite. I will no longer be picking this up.

* YOUNG X-MEN: I hung on for as long as I could, giving them a fair chance. But oh dear lord this comic BLOWS. I will no longer be picking this up.

* HULK: Makes me want to reread Young X-Men. Jeph Loeb has done a couple brilliant comics in his time, but usually grunts out a long turn like this one. This series..... it just... insults me as to how bad it is. It makes me angry. I will no longer be picking this up.

* UNCANNY X-MEN #499: Man, they were doing so well with "Messiah Complex", then they dropped the ball and turned this book into something I'd expect from a Liefeld title. It reminds me of the Chuck Austen and Peter Milligan days. Poop!!!! Atleast Greg Land jumps onboard next issue. I hate you, X-Editor Doucheface. I will continue to read Uncanny X-Men because I am weak and disgust myself.

* TRINITY: DC's new weekly book focusing on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Wow, all 3 had the same dream that is coming true... didn't I already read this story back when the Justice League was relaunched 10yrs ago? Or in Alex Ross' recent "Justice" series? Besides the unoriginal premise, the book just feels.... lame. It's a struggle to finish each book. But such is the case with most of Busiek's work. I will no longer be picking this up.

5 comments:

Frank Gillespie said...

What do you think about Morrisson's Batman RIP?

Jim said...

I'm not digging it at all.
Its odd because I loved Morrisson's take on Batman in his JLA run. But so far I haven't enjoyed a single issue of his BATMAN run, nor do I like where it seems to be heading. I think I'm going to drop BATMAN and just stick with DETECTIVE.

Your thoughts?

Frank Gillespie said...

I feel about the same. I would have trouble recommending RIP to anyone but a diehard Batman fan. The story just seems to be jumping around too much. I can normally follow a story that makes the kind of shifts that require the reader to fill in the blanks but this is almost too much. I shouldn’t have to go to google and look up zur-en-arrh just to be able to figure out what’s going on.

If RIP can’t be recommended to a new reader without having to spend hours on the computer looking things up to fill in all the blanks, is it really a that good of a story? Sadly, no.

Anonymous said...

Kelley Jones doing Batman again! I'm running to the comic store now!

Anonymous said...

both my daughter and I loved that issue of Teen Titans! and we both agree with you - Roy is a mean jerk! :)