Sunday, June 01, 2008

WAS ANDRU COPIED?

My first comic ever was WONDER WOMAN #254, when I was 3 yrs old. Going through my comic collection this weekend, I was thumbing through my FANTASTIC FOUR section, specifically the kickass JOHN BYRNE run. When I thumbed to FF#293, for the first time I realized the cover was wicked similar to WW#254. I then pulled out the WW issue to confirm. Check it out:

[WW#254 cover by Ross Andru (1979) --- FF#293 (1986)]
FF#293 was Byrne's last issue of his historic run, however he did not do the cover chores for this issue. Looking inside, there is no credit given nor could I find who did it by searching online. Many fans speculate Michael Golden, Ron Frenz, Jerry Ordway or Al Gordon, but who knows for sure. Hmmm, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Frenz???

Side note, HERE is Byrne's rejected cover to FF293.

No comments: