Wednesday, August 08, 2007

IN NEED OF SERIOUS THERAPY

I think its obvious that I'm a bonafide ALIEN fanatic, often times annoying those closest to me. I admit it. But its not always fun and games for me either. Case in point... FOX has put out nifty LENTICULAR cover dvds for some of their movies. They are the same dvds you already have, but the packaging has a lenticular image glued to the front, so when you turn the box, the image changes from one to another. The ALIEN one goes from closed egg to open egg, with a facehugger coming out. Yes indeedy, I found myself in line, holding the dvd and money eagerly waiting to hand over to the clerk.

Sigh
, its a sickness. And it gets worse: Sure the neato lenticular cover is, well, neato... but its flawed! Not only would the Facehugger's tail NOT be visible the way it is, the tail used in the cover ISN'T even a Facehugger's!! It's an adult Alien warrior/drone's tail.
Research, people! Research!

Which brings me to a related RANT....

I am sick and tired of the FOX DVD Packaging people fucking up the ALIEN dvd packaging (US, UK and others) by using the WRONG Alien image for each movie. In addition to the lenticular inaccuracies, the new ALIEN 3 dvd has the Alien from the FIRST movie on its cover! And then the AVP Extended Cut dvd uses the Alien from the SECOND movie. The worst offense is with the new ALIENS dvds, where they use the Alien from ALIEN: RESURRECTION and then AVP. COME ON!!!! I know this sounds trivial, but it really pisses me off.
Until the therapy begins to work.... JIMSMASH!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If nothing else, let it be known that Jim knows his shit about the Alien movies! Whoa man.

Fraser Lovatt said...

They probably outsource the design to another company who give it to people who know nothing about the franchise. The lack of care annoys me too -- especially since this is an important series of films with a dedicated fan-base for whom these things matter.

It shows that someone along the chain at Fox couldn't give a flying monkey's and are just milking the fans as cheaply as possible.