Tuesday, February 21, 2006

MOVIE REVIEW: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Finally saw BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN yesterday.
Ang Lee
redeems himself as a great filmmaker post-Hulk. Its nice to see him making quality films again. Overall, the movie is solid. Please drop the "That Gay Cowboy Flick" notion that's running rampart through our lame culture. This is a movie about 2 souls who love one another. That's it. Straight, Gay, whatever - its about love. The movie is gorgeous with great performances by all. It has an unspoken stillness way about it that fits perfectly with the characters, the story and the environment.

My only nitpicks are that the movie slows down a bit in the middle; just a bit. I also felt their love/passion for one another came about really fast and sudden. But that's ok - best get to it than drag it on
I suppose. Also, while there were times I truly felt their love for one another, there were other sections where I just wasn't getting it. As if I'd missed a "chapter" or something. Again, these are NITPICKS.

If you haven't seen it or you're planning on catching it on dvd,
I recommend seeing it in the theater while you can. The gorgeous landscapes on the big screen are almost worth the price of admission alone. But the story is good, too, so go see it.

Oh, another nitpick - Heath Ledger doesn't seem to age. Which can mean only one thing: He is an Immortal and will eventually have to battle other Immortals by means of Steel. There can only be One.

I give this 4 Lil Jimmys, out of 5 possible.

6 comments:

Mr. Legs said...

Great Review!

Couldn't agree more...

I was also impressed with Anne Hathaway's performance. She has chops. Had no idea the girl from The Princess Diaries could act! Too bad she was snubbed at the awards. Hopefully she can start steering clear of teeny bop flicks.

Jim said...

I thought that was her!! (Anne Hathaway). She did a good job. Plus, you see her boobs.

Whoa, 13yr old Jimmy took over for a second there. BACK! BACK I SAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

well i was going to wait..

but you've convinced me..


I loved the Beverly hillbillies, and can't wait to see Ms. H's knockers.

Jim said...

haha, nice.

but alas, its this one:
http://www.ninjapants.org/files/anne_hathaway_nipply.jpg

Jim said...

Didn't see it, Mr Legs. I wasn't really focusing on that area.

Unfortunately, 5 Heterosexual men in the audience became Gay after watching the movie. Perhaps that cliff jumping scene did it?

Mr. Legs said...

You know what I say!

10% is not enough! Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

Just Kidding...I actually heard someone chant that in undergrad at a gay rights rally. Hilareous!