Tuesday, February 21, 2006

APOLOGY TO TRENT REZNOR

I lashed out a few days ago regarding Nine Inch Nails and Trent's newest album, "With Teeth." I'm sorry, I was just frustrated with this current album, which I felt was too "pop" in feeling and too simplistic in structure. I don't think its a BAD album. Not at all. It's just not what I was expecting. When "With Teeth" first came out,
I listened to it several several times, probably a dozen.

I went back and have been listening to ALL of his music again and it dawned on me that this new album feels more like Pretty Hate Machine than his later albums; almost like a "missing" album post-PHM. I forgot how melodic PHM is, opposed to the hard, fast, complex multi-layered composures of Broken, Downward Spiral, and even The Fragile. While Trent's lyrics have always been strong, this album seems more lyrically driven then his previous ones. Usually, there's a nice marriage between his lyrics and the composure of "industrial electronica" (or whatever label one can apply to NIN). This outing, however, lacks the industrial feel I'm used to. I miss it, but atleast he's growing as an artist and trying new things. Yelling angry angst can only go so far I suppose. We all have to grow up eventually to a degree.

Trent's music got me through high school in one piece as well as served as my own soundtrack through college. He deserves more loyalty from me. And so, I'm giving With Teeth yet another chance. And so far, its better than I remember upon my intial reactions last year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um Hellooooooooo!!!!
I believe I told you this back when we were comparing our thought on it a few months back when "With Teeth" first came out. I KNOW I told you it sound very PHM-like. Don't blow up. You'll always be a NIN fan, we know this. You must have been having a bad day.
:D

Jim said...

Hehehe, well I guess I owe you an apology, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I Agree!!

Jim said...

Nice one!